Mushrooms are starting to take the lead as the most helpful, healthy and healing of the supplement world, and soon, they will be replacing the popular yet ineffective pharmaceuticals that give you more negative side-effects than help. This discussion is not meant for medical advice. Instead it is meant to facilitate a discussion with your doctor.
Healing autoimmune conditions involves more than just eliminating gluten from your diet and supplementing with L-Glutamine. Melissa Mullin, a nutritionist specializing in the area of Functional Medicine and Alternative Allergy Therapy found that while these steps can certainly be beneficial by removing immune system stimulants, they don't provide a comprehensive solution.
"What underlies the heightened reactivity to foods and the development of autoimmune conditions? Certainly, genetics have a role, but it's also about external factors like the environment, emotional stress, dietary choices, and exposure to toxins that influence the activation or suppression of genes."
Hashimoto's disease and Graves' disease are primarily rooted in immune system dysfunction, not solely thyroid-related issues.
• Administering Levothyroxine doesn't really address the core immune system problem.
• Pulverizing the thyroid gland doesn't tackle the root cause of immune system irregularities.
• This is where medicinal mushrooms come into play, as they can help regulate overly reactive lymphocytes.
• Lymphocytes, a type of white blood cell, are central in virus defense and antibody production.
• Hashimoto's is identified by antibodies targeting thyroid peroxidase and thyroglobulin enzymes, vital for thyroid hormone synthesis.
• Abnormal lymphocytes means more thyroid antibodies/autoimmunity.
The driving force behind Hashimoto's and Graves' Disease is abnormal lymphocyte behavior. These white blood cells create antibodies to combat pathogens, establish tolerance to self and non-self, and identify invaders. The trouble arises when these lymphocytes start producing antibodies against enzymes essential for thyroid hormone synthesis: TPO, Thyroglobulin, and Thyrotropin receptor.
Beyond infections, stress, inflammatory foods, poor sleep, and emotional strain can severely disturb the immune system, paving the way for autoimmune diseases. Even cancer can be considered an extreme form of immune system dysregulation. That is why normalizing your immune system is so important, and Medicinal Mushrooms may help!
Mushrooms for thyroid antibodies
Studies have found medicinal mushrooms such as cordyceps may drastically Reduced thyroid antibodies in Hashimoto's disease and Grave's disease.
There are MANY studies that have looked at medicinal mushrooms for normalizing autoimmune conditions, particularly Cordyceps.
In 2013, the Journal of Surgical Research investigated Graves' Disease and Hashimoto's. One group received cordyceps mushrooms, while the other took levothyroxine.
The results showed that mushrooms helped normalize the immune system: a 40-50% reduction in thyroid antibodies, positive modulation of lymphocyte activity, and improved inflammation equilibrium were observed in the 2.0g of cordyceps taken three times daily group. The levothyroxine group showed no change. The Hashimoto's group experienced a 51.3% drop in TPO Antibodies and 39.49% decline in Thyroglobulin Antibodies. The Graves' group saw reductions of 40.06% in TPO Antibodies and 46.94% in Thyrotropin Receptor Antibodies.
Patient A's TPO antibodies plummeted from 303 to 53 in just 8 months after taking a mushroom complex.
Patient B, consuming mushrooms for 7 months, saw complete normalization of Thyroglobulin antibodies. Unfortunately, the TPO antibody numbers were unavailable as the lab's measurement ceiling is 600.
Apart from mushrooms, studies have identified other agents that can reduce thyroid antibodies:
• Selenium: 200mcg daily from brazil nuts or supplements. Monitor selenium levels, as excessive intake can occur.
• Vitamin D3: Crucial for overall thyroid function. Supplementing is necessary due to inadequate sun exposure. Note that magnesium deficiency can hinder Vitamin D absorption.
• Meditation: Enhances T-cell function and allergy reduction. Medicinal mushrooms also aid in stress normalization as adaptogens, assisting the body in managing stress healthily.
Check out FeelTheDay.com mushroom supplements and see all the other amazing benefits of Mushrooms!
Read this blog by Melissa Mullin in its entirety Here.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.